Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Vegan is not a Dirty Word

If you want to bring a conversation to a screeching halt, just mention that you are a Vegan. I don't know what it is about that word, but as soon as I tell someone that I am a Vegan, they take two steps backward in horror. They assume that I am any or all of the following...a nut, a fanatical lunatic, tree hugger, left wing fruitcake. Now I may actually be some of those things, but that is not what this Blog is going to be about. I am not here to convert any of you. If you want a reason to convert, I highly suggest you read the "Skinny Bitch" book, by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. The language is a bit rough if you are over the age of forty(like I am), but it will open up your eyes.

 In the year that I have been a Vegan, the most common question I get asked is, "What the heck do you eat?"  I know that when you take away dairy, eggs and meat, there doesn't seem like much is left. Let me tell you, the days of eating just brown rice are gone! In the past year, with the help of some excellent Vegan cookbooks, I can (and you can, too) make amazing dishes that even die hard carnivors will eat.

Nothing pisses me off more then spending money on ingredients, taking the time to make something, only to have it taste like crap! I'm sure you feel the same way. My job is to test, taste and recommend to you recipes that I know you will love. Who knows, maybe this time next year, you too will be a Vegan.

I will be posting my first recipe for the New Year right after Christmas, so stay tuned!

Merry Christmas from the Caffrey Kitchen!

caffreygirl

1 comment: